make module_install

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Dec 18 03:39:01 EST 2002

Dear Gianfranco,

in message <000701c2a5e5$30b5a660$0700a8c0 at pc005> you wrote:

> I have implemented a loadable driver and I have compiled the source code
> with the command "make modules". When I try to run the install script with

OK so far.

> the command "make modules_install" it exits with the following message:

This is wrong; it will try to install the modules not on your  target
filesystem,  but  on your development host, and (if you're running as
root and the copy actually succeeds - which is another mistake: never
do such things  as  root!)  your  development  host's  "depmod"  will
complain.

You should pass a "INSTALL_MOD_PATH=<target_dir>" parameter  to  your
make command, something like

	make modules_install INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/opt/eldk/ppc_8xx

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
There are three ways to get something  done:  do  it  yourself,  hire
someone, or forbid your kids to do it.