kernel 2.4 smc1 problems ... advice please ...

Leonardo Pereira Santos lsantos at pd3.com.br
Mon Dec 16 23:28:57 EST 2002

    Well we managed to make a MPC850 FADS work. But we haven't got any
problems with the console, but with the ethernet. My guess is that you have
a kernel configuration problem, problably at the MPC8xx CPM Options. There,
the only two selected options are the very first one, CPM SCC Ethernet, and
the the second one, SCC2 used of the ethernet. All the other options aren't
selected. After that, if you find out that the kernel is not initializing
the ethernet too (it'll complain that it can't mount the root FS if you're
using NFS), then you'll vahe to copy some definitions for the EPLD's
registers for the FADS boards. The kernel's one are outdated, I think. But
PPCBoot, as you already noticed, are correct, so edit asm-ppc/fads.h our
platforms/fads.h and change the BCSRs definitions found that for the
PPCBoot's ones. That solved our problems.
Cheers.