Regarding consistent_alloc

Pantelis Antoniou panto at intracom.gr
Thu Dec 12 19:37:41 EST 2002

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>In message <3DF8420A.4040409 at intracom.gr> you wrote:
>

>>They only reason that I considered the consistent() routines was
>>that the 8xx routines are unsuitable for use in modules.
>>

>This  is  trivial  to  fix  -  just  add  the  missing  EXPORT_SYMBOL
>statements  to  arch/ppc/kernel/ppc_ksyms.c  ;  but be aware that the
>current implementation will leak CPM resources upon module  unload  -
>which  is probably the main reason that these symbols are not expoted
>for use in modules.

Yes I know, that is one the main deficiencies I'm talking about...

>>I will prepare a patch that deals with the inefficiencies
>>of the 8xx routines.
>>

>Don't re-invent the wheel. There is an implementation  of  this  code
>available  in  our  kernel  source tree (linux-2.4 module in our CVS)
>which for example provides both m8xx_cpm_dpalloc / m8xx_cpm_dpfree
>
>I sent the patches to Tom Rini. Several times. I don't know why  they
>never  made  it into the official kernel source tree. [This is why we
>have to maintain our own source tree.]
>

>Best regards,
>
>Wolfgang Denk

Could you please sent me these patches, since I'm behind a firewall?

But still there is the matter of the m8xx_cpm_hostalloc routines.

BTW Wolfgang have you seen my patch for the QMC? Any comments?
Please note that I had a few requests for the QMC patch directly
by people off the list, so it's not like no-one is using it...

Regards

--
Pantelis Antoniou
INTRACOM S.A. Greece