Regarding consistent_alloc

Dan Malek dan at embeddededge.com
Thu Dec 12 14:41:49 EST 2002

Pantelis Antoniou wrote:

> Perhaps the best way to proceed is just to fix the xxx_cpm_hostalloc() and
> xxx_cpm_dpalloc() routines to work more intelligently, and to
> forget about consistent_alloc entirely...

You are totally missing the proper use of these functions.  The 'cpm'
functions are used specifically to assist the management of memory
for the CPM peripherals on the 8xx and 82xx processor.  There are often
unique attributes of mapping these spaces that must be considered.  The
only thing to "fix" in these functions is to make a resource free (and
smarter resource management) that works for loadable modules.

The purpose of consistent_alloc() functions is to provide a method of
allocating DMA consistent (i.e. non-cached in our case) memory spaces
for _any_ purpose.  These are functions you will find in other processor
architectures and have become standard part of many Linux processor ports.

The 'cpm' and PCI (and other non-PCI functions like USB OHCI) functions
will rely on the consistent_alloc() functions to provide consistent
spaces when necessary.  There are some memory mapping assumptions made
about the way consistent memory is allocated for the purposes of portabilty
and performance.

All of these functions are required and work reasonably well as currently
implemented when they are used properly.

Thanks.

	-- Dan