cygwin and embedded linux

Dan Taylor danieltaylor at attbi.com
Fri Aug 23 15:03:58 EST 2002

Set up a separate Linux server (or servers), then use an X-Windows
server package, running on each M$-Windows machine, to be able to
run xterms, etc. locally/  You will be able to access all of the
Linux tools in their native environment.

Later, when you may have only a few people doing legacy M$-Windows
support, you can reverse the process.  Your developers will live
on Linux boxes and access a (NT Terminal Server/2000 Enterprise
Server/Whatever the #%$! they call the XP version) to run the M$-Windows
tools in THEIR native environment, while living in your primary
development environment.

I've done both of these, at various locations, currently the latter,
living on Solaris/SPARC and Linux/X86 developing for embedded Linux/PPC.

I have, in addition, used cygwin, on M$-Windows 2000 Pro, and found that
the worst performance issue is that shared drives are PAINFUL, but that
cross-development (for non-Linux MIPS, in that case) is really doable,
although I ended up resorting to the M$-Windows-native version of emacs.

Regards,

Dan