/dev/flash and MTD

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Aug 10 05:33:08 EST 2002

In message <3D540B52.8080709 at redswitch.com> you wrote:
> To enable MTD on a board, do we still need /dev/flash? In other words,

No, this is not needed for MTD.  It's  an  alternative  interface  to
access  flash  memory; we mostly keep it for compatibility with older
projects, and because it provides some nice features like allowing to
mmap() the flash (RO).

> is there any relationship between /dev/flash and MTD? I found that only
> on Denx distribution of 2.4.4 there is such a device '/dev/flash'. Thanks.

These are two independend solutions to the task of  providing  access
to  flash  memory;  MTD is superior when you also need a block device
interface.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
When you say "I wrote a program that crashed  Windows",  people  just
stare  at you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for
free*".        - Linus Torvalds in <3itc77$9lj at ninurta.fer.uni-lj.si>