kernel size

Conn Clark clark at esteem.com
Fri Apr 12 02:40:17 EST 2002

Ken Applebaum wrote:

> I know that this list is usually reserved for discussions of bringing up
> kernels, but I have a question on kernel size.
>
> What is the smallest size of kernel (including tcp/ip) that people have been
> able to build? Do the folks on this list see the large size as an issue to
> further adoption of linux on the PowerQuicc processors?
>
> Ken

	It all depends on what size you are refering to. Is it the size
of the compressed zImage, the compressed bzImage , the uncompressed
image, or the runtime RAM usage?

	Our zImage is just about 400,000 bytes. Our uncompressed image
is about 1 MB. The others sizes I haven't looked at. Our kernel could
be smaller if we left out fpu emulation and other modules.

	I see this as an issue that is becoming less and less
important as RAM and flash storage technology increase in size and
drop in price.

See what Wolfgang accomplished here.
http://www.denx.de/embedded-ppc-en.html
Its about mid page under the heading "PowerPC based Web Server" .

Hope this is helpful

	Conn

  If you live at home long enough, your parents will move out.

Conn Clark
Engineering Stooge				clark at esteem.com
Electronic Systems Technology Inc.		www.esteem.com

Stock Ticker Symbol				ELST

"clark at esteem.com" Copyright 2000 By Electronic Systems Technology
 This email address may be used to communicate to Conn Clark
 provided it is not being used for advertisement purposes, unless
 prior written consent is given. This email address may not be
 sold under any circumstances. All other rights reserved.