Cannot boot properly

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Apr 6 00:44:47 EST 2002

Dear Jon,

in message <3CADA82E.9000502 at control.auc.dk> you wrote:

> I connect my target to my PC through an ethernet and a serial port and
> mount a NFS root file system. Here is where the probem arises with the
> newer kernel. When i boot (with bootm command in ppcboot), the output on
> my screen is all garbled where everything was ok before. The kernel is
> still active on the target but does not respond throgh the serial port
> anymore. (I use minicom to connect and boot parameters are set to 9600
> baud in ppcboot).  Any ideas?? Does the newer kernel overide the baud

Check the output carefully, and compare against a working  system.  I
bet, that most of the time every second character is missing, right?

If this i the case, you have mis-configured the  serial  ports.  Make
sure  to  enable  both SMC1 and SMC2 in the kernel configuration, and
select the right one as console port. Also make sure that you  select
CONFIG_ALTSMC2.

If you check with your ".config" file, the following  options  should
be selected:

	CONFIG_SMC1_UART=y
	# CONFIG_CONS_SMC1 is not set
	CONFIG_UART_MAXIDL_SMC1=1
	CONFIG_SMC1_UART_RX_BDNUM=4
	CONFIG_SMC1_UART_RX_BDSIZE=32
	CONFIG_SMC1_UART_TX_BDNUM=4
	CONFIG_SMC1_UART_TX_BDSIZE=32
	CONFIG_SMC2_UART=y
	CONFIG_ALTSMC2=y
	CONFIG_CONS_SMC2=y
	CONFIG_UART_MAXIDL_SMC2=1
	CONFIG_SMC2_UART_RX_BDNUM=4
	CONFIG_SMC2_UART_RX_BDSIZE=32
	CONFIG_SMC2_UART_TX_BDNUM=4
	CONFIG_SMC2_UART_TX_BDSIZE=32

[This  system  uses  SMC2  as  console  port  -  the   settings   for
CONFIG_CONS_SMC1 and CONFIG_CONS_SMC2 may be different on your box]

> settings somehow? Is it necessary to upgrade to ppcboot-1.1.5 for the
> newer kernel to boot??

This is not necessary (though recommended anyway).

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Q: Why do PCs have a reset button on the front?
A: Because they are expected to run Microsoft operating systems.