debugging modules

Scott Anderson scott_anderson at mvista.com
Thu Sep 27 17:36:43 EST 2001

on 9/27/01 12:05 AM, ibm405gp at ibm405.linux at laposte.net wrote:
> I saw in a previous message that I would be able to debug modules
> instead of generating the kernel each time.
> Can somebody give me the procedure to follow?

I'll give you a quick pointer, but maybe someone else will give you
a better more detailed procedure.  The key is the add-symbol-file
command in gdb.  It takes an object file and an address.  Using
insmod -m (I believe - I'm aware from the office right now), you
can get the address of where a module gets loaded.  Then you use
add-symbol-file to teach gdb about this module and where it's at.

   Scott