CPCI-405 port (PPC405GP)

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Sep 21 01:46:07 EST 2001

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 11:20:26AM -0400, Dan Malek wrote:

> Stefan Roese wrote:
>
> > #ifndef __CPCI405_H
> > #define __CPCI405_H
> >
> > #include <linux/config.h>
> >
> > #include <asm/ppcboot.h>
> >
> > #endif  /* __CPCI405_H */
>
> This is fine, Tom said it was an empty file.........

Well, that's empty to me. :)  ppcboot.h should include linux/config.h and
that's all it does...

> > Dan, you are right that we (PPCBoot) people will have some homework to do,
> > but right now our only way to Linux is via the bd_info struct!
>
> No, the way to Linux is to _always_ use a zImage with an attached bootloader.
> PPCboot can continue to pass whatever it wants, or the bootloader can find
> the information in other ways as it does today with many boards.  Booting
> a vmlinux image and trying to keep track of that private interface between
> the bootloader and the kernel is difficult.  We already have more changes
> planned in addition to the bi_recs interface.  Much of the code found today
> in the head.S files is going to migrate to the bootloaders.

In the x86 world it's always true that we have a bit of a loader tacked
on someplace.  In some parts of the PPC world, we can't/don't for various
reasons (technical and/or ingrained).  For example, I don't see a problem
with something which takes a vmlinux.gz and boots it.  As long as we get the
information we need, we shouldn't care.  The in-kernel loaders are the easiest
to get changed.  But we should define what we're going to do before we do
it so that yaboot/ppcboot and apus can figure out how much re-working
they'll need and whatnot..

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/