pthread support in ppc405 gdb

Marius Groeger mag at sysgo.de
Fri Sep 7 20:31:40 EST 2001

In linux.ppc.embedded, Bryan Rittmeyer wrote:

> We have a mission-critical need for a ppc405 source level debugger
> (gdb) which can handle complex, threaded C++ applications. However,
> the HHL 2.0 release notes say the following:
>
> * gdb 5.0
>    gdb 5.0 included with HHL 2.0 does not support
>    debugging multi-threaded (pthread) applications.

The current gdb snapshots have fairly decent support for pthreads. I'd be
careful though with "complex, threaded C++ applications". That has always
beed a problem with gdb (at least on other platforms where threads were
supported). This is - at least partially - due to the inherent, er,
weirdness of C++.

Elinos does support pthread debugging btw.

Regards
Marius.

Marius Groeger        SYSGO Real-Time Solutions GmbH    www.sysgo.de
Software Engineering  Embedded and Real-Time Software   www.osek.de