USB support in the HardHet Linux 2.4.2 on the IBM Walnut

Eli Chen eli at routefree.com
Tue Sep 4 10:05:24 EST 2001

Alexander,

We have managed to get the USB ohci driver to work on the Walnut board.  I
believe one of the problems was that the 405gp platform did not guarantee
cache coherency for pci-dma.  This is supposedly fixed by patches
ohci-0323*.patch and pcipool patches (you can find on usb-devel mailing
list).

That didn't improve things at all.  Then I discovered that cache invalidates
were happening on addresses not aligned with the 405gp cacheline.  This
junked some good data, and I fixed it by using kmalloc'ed memory for dma and
aligning end addresses manually.  I also have a fix for the Pegasus ethernet
dongle (other drivers probably have to be patched as well.)

The code uses a macro called L1_CACHE_ALIGN:
#define L1_CACHE_ALIGN(x)
(((x)+(L1_CACHE_BYTES-1))&~(L1_CACHE_BYTES-1))

where L1_CACHE_BYTES is 32 for 405gp.

hope this helps!  sorry if it's too messy.  I'll try to help more if I can.

Eli