looking for a nice root filesystem image

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Oct 27 08:18:52 EST 2001

In message <3BD9CCC3.1030704 at oerlikon.ca> you wrote:

> Now i'm looking for a "a bit bigger" root filesystem with typical
> utilities like: umount, ifconfig, etc. that could fit in around 8 MBytes
> of Flash. Is there some image available somewhere on the Net?

Have a look at "SELF" (our Simple Embedded  Linux  Framework");  it's
based  on Busybox, provides a lot of tools including remote access to
your target using FTP and telnet and fits in <840 kB of flash (kernel
not included).

You can get it even smaller when you "optimize" your  libs  (see  the
running thread).

Hope it helps.

Umm, yes, before I forget it: you find SELF in
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SELF/
There is even a short README ;-)

Hope it helps,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
You could end up being oddly sad and full of a strange, diffuse  com-
passion  which would lead you to believe that it might be a good idea
to wipe out the whole human race and start again with amoebas.
                                 - Terry Pratchett, _Guards! Guards!_