IDE on PCMCIA error

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Oct 27 01:02:51 EST 2001

In message <3BD97638.4115F7A9 at chinook.com> you wrote:

> >Also, Linux relies on the  initialization  of
> > the PCMCIA interface performed by PPCBoot.
>
> It depends.  The m8xx driver in the pcmcia-cs tree seems to initialize
> everything except the card voltages.

Right, that's when you use the CS package which is a bit of  overkill
for  an  embedded  system,  especially  when you want to put the root
filesystem on the flash card.

I was speaking about the "simple" IDE interface which  you  get  with
the  CONFIG_IDE_8xx_PCCARD  config  option  (plus  one of 8xx_PCCARD,
8xx_DIRECT, or EXT_DIRECT). In this  case,  Linux  reads  the  memory
mapping from the PCMCIA controller registers.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Only in our dreams we are free. The rest of the time we neeed  wages.
                                    - Terry Pratchett, _Wyrd Sisters_