MPC8xx IDE

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Oct 24 22:04:53 EST 2001

In message <3BD6AA4D.1050502 at capflow.com> you wrote:

> While trying to find an easy way to add non-volatile storage on a
> custion MPC860 board, I noticed that there was some support for IDE on
> the PCMCIA interface in the Linux kernel.

The IDE support on 8xx has become  even  more  universal  in  current
kernels  (linuxppc_2_4_devel);  basicly  you have 3 options - quoting
from "Configure.help":

Type of MPC8xx IDE interface
CONFIG_IDE_8xx_PCCARD
  Select how the IDE devices are connected to the MPC8xx system:

  8xx_PCCARD uses the 8xx internal PCMCIA interface in combination
             with a PC Card (e.g. ARGOSY portable Hard Disk Adapter),
             ATA PC Card HDDs or ATA PC Flash Cards (example: TQM8xxL
             systems)

  8xx_DIRECT is used for directly connected IDE devices using the 8xx
             internal PCMCIA interface (example: IVMS8 systems)

  EXT_DIRECT is used for IDE devices directly connected to the 8xx
             bus using some glue logic, but _not_ the 8xx internal
             PCMCIA interface (example: IDIF860 systems)

> Does anyone know where I can find more information about that ? There

Ask me :-)

> seems to be a board (IVMS8) with such an IDE interface, but I haven't
> been able to find anything about it on the web.

Again quoting from "Configure.help":

  TQM823L:
  TQM850L:
  TQM855L:
  TQM860L:
    MPC8xx based family of mini modules, half credit card size,
    up to 64 MB of RAM, 8 MB Flash, (Fast) Ethernet, 2 x serial ports,
    2 x CAN bus interface, ...
      Manufacturer: TQ Components, www.tq-group.de