Reducing glibc with mklibs.sh

Michael Habermann MHabermann at gmx.de
Wed Oct 24 12:04:06 EST 2001

At 09:07 AM 10/18/2001 -0400, Jean-Denis Boyer wrote:

>A couple of things are missing in your configuration for mklibs.sh
>to properly work. I spent many hours finding what was the exact
>configuration to have mklibs.sh properly works.

Thank you very much, it worked in exactly this way. I could reduce my
libc-2.2.2 from 1.1 MB to 500 kB now.

For the other people trying this here is my script I execute after
compiling and installing  glibc 2.2.2:

---
#!/bin/sh
cp libc_pic.a ../lib/
cp libc.map ../lib/libc_pic.map
mkdir ../lib/libc_pic
cp elf/interp.os ../lib/libc_pic/interp.o
cp elf/soinit.os ../lib/libc_pic/soinit.o
cp elf/sofini.os ../lib/libc_pic/sofini.o
---

>Note: I successfully reduced libpthread.so, also.

How have you done the libthread? Standard compilation for glibc produces
_pic only for libc on my system. My libm is still quite large.