Problem using FEC on a860T

Dave Ellis DGE at sixnetio.com
Tue Oct 23 00:51:12 EST 2001

Borracini Evandro wrote:
> Firstly, apply the attached patch. This patch was written by
> Dave Ellis. It will disable the mii_link_interrupt when the
> "MDIO for PHY configuration" was not selected.
>
> Secondly, you need compile without the "MDIO for PHY
> configuration". FADS does not use that.

With the patch the FADS should work with or without MDIO support.
At least my FADS (with an 855T) does.

This was discussed on the ppcboot-users list last month, but
my attachments apparently didn't survive in the archives
on geocrawler, so I am posting them here again. The patches
are for the Denx linux-2.4.4-2001-07-23 kernel.

from my post on Ppcboot-users (11-Sep-01):
> ... so I am attaching 2 patches and 2 configurations.
> fads0723.patch - my first patch to make FADS with FEC ethernet build
> fads0723_2.patch - this patch (which needs the first one) fixes:
>  * if CONFIG_USE_MDIO is disabled don't enable mii link interrupts,
>    since the link interrupt routine doesn't know what to do with them.
>  * make fec.c default to LXT971 PHY only if the PHY type is not
>    already configured. fads.h now defines CONFIG_FEC_LXT970.
>  * remove duplicate PHY_INTERRUPT #define from fads.h
> FADS860FNM_config - FADS 860 with FEC ethernet, CONFIG_USE_MDIO disabled
> FADS860FM_config - FADS 860 with FEC ethernet, CONFIG_USE_MDIO enabled

Dave

Dave Ellis - Director of Engineering
SIXNET  "Programmable I/O for Windows"
PO Box 767