Memory requirements

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Oct 16 16:52:17 EST 2001

In message <sbcc391b.064 at tms-pty.com> you wrote:

> Hello everybody, I am trying to put a Linux on a FADS860T board, and I
> have no idea of the quantity of memory I will need....

This depends on your application, and which functions you  need  from
the kernel.

> could anyone give me an idea of minimal and reasonable memory
> requirement for these kind of boards...

Minimum for a running system with very small application:
	1MB flash, 4 MB RAM.
Medium configuration as used in many shipping products like ISDN
routers, Bluetooth Lan Access Points, etc.:
	2 MB flash, 8 MB RAM
Comfortable system for development (sufficient to compile the Linux
kernel native on the target):
	4 MB flash, 16 MB RAM

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by  at  least
one instruction - from which, by induction, one can deduce that every
program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work.