Kernel oops while routing

Ricardo Scop scop at digitel.com.br
Fri Nov 30 09:27:07 EST 2001

Hi everybody,

Ok, time for an update on the problem bellow.

First of all, many thanks to Andy Lowe for his patch. The problem was
gone with it, but with some performance penalties that I would like to
discuss.

Even before applying the patch, we found out that the crash was caused
by a memory leak in the system. When the memoty was exhauted, the
kernel crashed. Furthermore, we discovered that
turning CONFIG...MMAP off decreased considerably the leakage rate, at
least in our test setup.

Then, applying the patch stopped the leak. But, just as I mentioned
before, the performance of our routing test decreased a lot. Best
throughput rates dropped to 15 Mbps, against 46 Mbps before patching.

I'm kind of lost with this performance variations. As far as I could
see, the patch did not insert much processing overhead, so...

Tips, commentaries, pointers on what to seek for... everything will be
appreciated.

[]'s, Scop                            mailto:scop at digitel.com.br

"What's money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and
goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
~Bob Dylan