request_irq () kills kernel

Rudolf Ladyzhenskii rudolf.ladyzhenskii at act-aus.net
Thu Nov 22 11:32:58 EST 2001

Hi, all

I am writing a driver to support MPC8260 hardware timers.
The very moment I call request_irq(), kernel dies without a warning (I use
2.4.4 kernel).

I was looking through the kernel code and I discovered that other drivers
use request_8xxirq() instead of request_irq(). Now, those things have been
defined to be same in /arch/ppc/kernel/irq.c, but both appear in System.map.
Which one should I use?
Also, anyone have any ideas why kernel would die?
I am trying to hook to interrupt 0x0c (Timer0) and I checked SIMR_L register
to make sure Timer interrupts are masked.

Thanks,
Rudolf