Organisation of 4xx initialization code

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Sat Nov 17 11:40:52 EST 2001

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 07:59:17AM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 04:46:26PM +1100, David Gibson wrote:
>
> > At the moment the initialization for each of the 4xx boards goes
> > through the platform_init() in arch/ppc/kernel/ppc4xx_setup.c, which
> > in turns calls a board_init() function for the specific board.
> >
> > It seems to me that it would make more sense to put platform_init() in
> > the board specific files, and these functions could then call back,
> > where appropriate, to generic 4xx setup functions.  This would mean:
>
> But 95% of the current 4xx platform_init is generic.  With the exception
> of the redwood kbd init stuff, which right now we could probably move
> into the redwood board_init (providing redwood_irkb_init sets things to
> NULL which the previous bits set).

And the common stuff can still be shared - it's just that the board
code, which clearly knows more about the configuration than the 4xx
generic stuff, chooses what order to do things in.

> > 	- We should be able to remove some inconvenient header
> > dependencies - at present lots of things are recompiled when board
> > local defines are changed because walnut.h/ep405.h/etc are included
> > indirectly in serial.h and some other unexpected places.
>
> Keep in mind <asm/ibm4xx.h> has the same exact thing.  As does
> <asm/mpc8xx.h>.  There's lots of wierd header dependancies, and it's not
> fixable in 2.4 anyhow.  kbuild-2.5 doesn't have this issue, and this
> isn't even much of a problem anyhow.

Um, no, this has nothing to do with the build system.  Board specific
header files, which contain largely information which is irrelevant to
everything except the board and 4xx setup code is being indirectly
included in parts of the generic kernel.  That creates a dependency
regardless of the build system.

http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson