Error in loading shared libraries: invalid ELF header

Mark Hatle fray at mvista.com
Fri Nov 16 02:44:21 EST 2001

It looks to me that you are attempting to boot off of a hard disk.  One
of two things (I would guess the first):

1) Your disk partition is damaged due to an improper reboot

2) You have the wrong libc.so.6 (i.e. one for x86)

> EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 176k init 4k openfirmware
> init: error in loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: invalid ELF header
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

The EXT2-fs warning message above seems to indicate the ext2 partition
is at the least not clean, at the worst corrupt.

--Mark