release_dev: driver.termios_locked[3] not termios_locked for (04: 47)

Williams, Kevin M. kevin.m.williams at marconi.com
Fri May 11 06:54:51 EST 2001

Hello,

I have ported over code to a 2.4 kernel from a 2.2.13 kernel that modified
m8xx_tty.c, serial.c, and uart.c to work with both the SMC/SCC's and an
external UART at the same time.  When my 2.4 kernel boots and after the NFS
filesystem mounts I get:

release_dev: driver.termios_locked[3] not termios_locked for (04:47)

It happens after execve() is called from main.c to start my 'linuxrc'
script.  This device number is for ttyS7, which is setup as the debug
console port the message is displayed on, so I know the tty is functional,
but something in my setup must be wrong?  I continue to boot and
send/receive characters on this console even after the message.  Anyone have
any ideas on what the cause may be?  I suspect some change in the way the
tty's work between 2.2.13 and 2.4 is causing this.  Any ideas?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Kevin