what files should be included in initrd

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 9 17:02:07 EST 2001

In message <040944A92C91D211954D00C095EE82680168FF32 at POST> you wrote:

> sorry for this question, but it's the first time I try to use linux on my

It's a good question, but it has been asked many, many times before.
See http://penguinppc.org/usr/embedded/howto/PowerPC-Embedded-HOWTO-13.html#ss13.2
and http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Bootdisk-HOWTO/buildroot.html

> I'm using PPCBoot and the MontaVista kernel. Both work fine, but I don't
> know how to make a initrd image.

See "Documentation/initrd.txt" in your Linux source directory.

> Can someone give me a short overwiew on how to build such an image and what
> files should be included?

You include those files you need in your embedded system. The minimum
(without any tricks and modifications  to  the  Linux  kernel)  is  a
special  file  for  /dev/console (c 5 1) and a regular file with your
statically linked application that is started as init process.

See ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SIMPLE-PPCBOOT-ramdisk for
an example - this is a PPCBoot image ready for use; you can use

	dd if=SIMPLE-PPCBOOT-ramdisk bs=64 skip=1 of=ramdisk.image.gz

to create a "normal" ramdisk image.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"There are three principal ways to lose money: wine, women, and engi-
neers. While the first two are more pleasant, the third is by far the
more certain."                           - Baron Rothschild, ca. 1800