dcache BUG()

Brian Kuschak brian.kuschak at skystream.com
Wed May 9 03:43:43 EST 2001

> I think that we agree that my patch fixes a real bug, but that, sadly, it
> is _not_ the bug you are seeing. Given the "prevent interrups in atomic
> operation" patch that apparently fixes the bug, I looked for possibilities
> of stale reservations. Now your bug is even more puzzling...

Yes, I agree.  Like I said it definitely runs longer now than it did before,
but unfortunately shows the same symptom.  Here is a little more information
that I gleaned last night which may or may not be useful.

I noticed that arch/ppc/kernel/misc.S still had the (old?) assembly
functions for doing atomic operations.  They are similar but slighly
different to the inline functions in atomic.h.  I ran yesterday for about 4
hours with these "alternative" atomic functions, and I did not see the
failure.  I'm not sure if this was just a coincidence (the timing changed
slightly), or whether it indicates a problem with the inline atomic
functions.

> Can we get an oops trace if you hit it ? For now I'm puzzled.

Sure, I'll post it next time I get it.  (I already cleared the one I got
last night).

Regards,
Brian