dcache BUG()

Brian Kuschak brian.kuschak at skystream.com
Tue May 8 03:21:27 EST 2001

I posted this to message linux-kernel too, but maybe someone here has seen
this, or can duplicate this problem...

Running snmpd or httpd overnight causes this oops: (kernel BUG at
/home/brian/linux/include/linux/dcache.h:251! - in dget() called from
d_alloc()).  Occasionally I see: de_put: entry net already free! before the
oops.

I've been able to reliably reproduce the problem in 15 minutes by running
this instead:
while /bin/true; do cat /proc/net/* 2>/dev/null > /tmp/junk; done;

The dget() fails when trying to open /proc/net/tcp, for example, and finds
that net has a zero dentry->d_count.

Montavista 2.4.2, patched to 2.4.3 on a 405GP, with root fs on ramdisk. Any
ideas on why this is happening? The system is stable otherwise.

Thanks, Brian