endianness

Didier Kryn kryn at in2p3.fr
Thu May 3 19:47:15 EST 2001

	Dear friends, I really had a great fun with the exchanges
about endianness. It changes from the other serious messages :-)

	For sure neither big nor little endiannesses was ever
decided by Nature, but the dispute has to do with human nature.

	The reason of attachment of most of us to one of these is
just habit. I have allways used big-endian processors (years before
the advent of the PC) and I got acustomed to it. I am sure that
there also exist some supporters of PDP endianness :-)

	The reason why FORTRAN is still alive is the same: people
need a very strong reason to change their habits. But in this case,
obsolescence will solve the problem :-<

	With endianness, we've got a long-lived subject of dispute.
Therefore we may have centuries of fun reading the controversy and
looking at people enthusiastically devoting their time to the
conversion of kernels and applications from one endianness to
another :->

	Please guys, go on, I'm sure that many readers enjoy it !

Didier Kryn
College de France / LPCC, 11 Place M. Berthelot, 75231 Paris cedex 05