What does instruction LA mean?

Srinivas Rao.M msrao at vxl.co.in
Thu Mar 29 14:06:48 EST 2001

hi madhuri,
 	The LA here is a macro. I am not sure about the linux. but in the
pSOS+ i have seen a macro written in assembly language, which does the

Just check the assembly source files, you may find macro something like this.

  .macro    LA reg,symbol
  lis       reg,%hiadj(symbol)
  addi      reg,reg,%lo(symbol)
  .endm

such macros are written to load the value(constant) in to a register.

cheers,
srini...

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Jones Madhuri wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am novice in Power PC assembly code and I am trying
> compile in following code (written by someone else)
> into head_8xx.S.
>
> This function has instruction like
>
> mfspr r3, IC_CST
> LA r4, IC_CST_LEN
>
> However the hardhat assembler doesn't understand the
> mnemonic LA, is LA same as add immediate instruction?
> addi r4, r4, IC_CST_LEN
>
> Please help!!
>
> Thanks.
>
> M.J.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we
have the power to make ourselves. If what we are now has been the result of
our own past actions, it certainly follows that whatever we wish to be in
future can be produced by our present actions; so we have to know how to act.
-Swami Vivekananda