possible problem in memory management

Kenneth Johansson kenneth.johansson at inn.ericsson.se
Thu Mar 22 20:50:28 EST 2001

Frank Rowand wrote:

> Dan Malek wrote:
> >
> > Matthias Fuchs wrote:
> >
> > >   CPU:   IBM PowerPC 405GP Rev. C at 198 MHz (PLB=99, OPB=49, EBC=33 MHz)
> >
> > Get yourself an up to date Rev. D CPU.  The Rev. C workarounds in
> > the kernel were reasonable attempts, but probably aren't complete.
>
> Dan is correct.  We did not do an exhaustive scan of the kernel to add
> workarounds in all places they might be necesary, just enough to make the
> kernel fairly stable and usable.  Even in the places where the workarounds
> are in place, they are not guaranteed to be 100% effective.

But I do think there is a memory bug inte the version of the kernel he is using.
I can produce a error state at will running debian (potato) on that kernel.
Running emacs or simply login over telnet puts it into that state. I currently
is not working to resolv the problem so I don't have more infomation than that
it fails, sorry.

--
Kenneth Johansson
Ericsson Business Innovation AB   Tel: +46 8 404 71 83
164 80 Stockholm                  kenneth.johansson at inn.ericsson.se