strange problem while booting

Jerry Van Baren vanbaren_gerald at si.com
Thu Mar 22 00:47:14 EST 2001

The strange characters you were getting are reminiscent of DEC VT-100
"graphics" characters.  On a VT (compatible) display, you can send an
escape sequence which makes the lower case ASCII characters turn into
characters that are line graphics, but the upper case characters are
unchanged.  Note that this became part of the ANSI terminal
specification, and is implemented in most terminal programs.  This
describes the funny characters you are seeing, although the actual
display values are not VT-100 style.  Hmm, more advanced VT terminals
(VT-320++?) allowed downloadable character sets, you could be getting
into these character sets.