Compiling/debugging 405GP and RISCWatch

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 22 00:24:18 EST 2001

In message <03ee01c0b206$c4878ea0$3000a8c0 at primag> you wrote:

> However, for one very deeply embedded part of the hardware I can't use linux
> (not enough RAM and ROM), I just want a bootstrap to run a single program.
> I'm trying to decide on a debugging strategy and I am considering RISCWatch
> with the JTAG adaptor. I have experimented with RISCWatch using a network
> connection to the Walnut ROM Monitor, but have so far been unable to produce
> an executable with the HardHat/GNU tool chain from which RISCWatch can read
> debugging symbols. The RISCWatch manual says it can read ELF/DWARF files,
> and indeed it seems to download my executable, but gives an error
> "DwarfCompilationUnit: invalid FORM = 0"

Another suggestion: replace the Walnut ROM Monitor  by  PPCBoot,  the
Open  Source Firmware project (see ppcboot.sourceforge.net), and load
and run your program under PPCboot. This  is  explicitely  supported;
see the code in the examples directory.

> Is it possible to use RISCWatch with the GNU toolchain?
> Is it possible to use the RISCWatch/JTAG interface as a backend to gdb?
> Any other suggestions for debugging (with no network connection on the
> target)?

Get yourself a BDI2000. It's a great tool and  works  perfectly  with
GDB, even for Linux, where MMU support is essential.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
When a program is being  tested,  it  is  too  late  to  make  design
changes.                  -- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"