USB questions (for the MPC8xx)

Roman Weissgaerber weissg at vienna.at
Sat Mar 17 06:43:38 EST 2001

Kári Davíðsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the m8xxhci.c hci driver for the mpc one can select to use TIMER1 for
> the SOF generator.
> A interruopt handler, m8xxhci_timer_interrupt() is registered to handle
> this interrupt and generate the SOF.
> Why is it then that the timer is also exported to PA6?
> Why is it the the USE_TIMER1_FOR_SOF is defined within the
> USE_UCODE_PATCH which is for external generated SOF-interrupt?
> Isn't the timer option exactly for the case where you do not have
> externally generated SOF-interrupt?
> If we can use a timer for generating the SOF why can't we just use a
> regular kernel timer instead, and therfore free one timer or baud rate
> generator?

The microcode patch needs an external 1kHz Signal on dreq input.
Timer 1 is one option to generate that external signal.
The interrupt handler is not needed anymore so my patch should have
changed a little bit more. The timer can run without interrupt handler
it just must generate the external 1kHz Signal.

- Roman