linuxppc-embedded: mpc8260 bus frequency calculations

Daris A Nevil dnevil at snmc.com
Sat Mar 3 01:50:53 EST 2001

Brendan,

We did exactly as you suggest here in the QSLinux kernel.  We modified
the board_info structure to specify the input clock frequency in Hz
rather than in MHz.  Refer to the code in ftp://qslinux.org.

I don't think Dan changed the code (correct me if I'm wrong).  I began
using the 2.2.5 kernel about 2 years ago, and it was specified in MHz
way back then.  I think the original code was probably written by Cort.

You could easily make the change on whatever kernel you are using
(MonteVista?).  The board descriptor structure is meant to be somewhat
flexible.  You just need to do a grep to find out where else the
variable is used.  You will probably find that it is used in the
ethernet and console serial drivers, and in the initialization of the
internal count-down clock.  The board_info structure is not used down in
the internals of the Linux kernel.  It is "board specific", and so it
only applies to a few board specific device drivers.

Regards,
Daris

--
Daris A Nevil