root=/dev/ram0

Andrew Dixon andrew.dixon at seranoa.com
Fri Jul 27 06:02:31 EST 2001

Hi All,
I'm trying to mount a compressed ramdisk image on /dev/ram0 and run my
root filesystem from there.  My problem is that when I try to boot I get
the following error:

    VFS: Cannot open root device "ram0" or 01:00

earlier in the boot process the ram disks are recognized:

    RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 4096K size 1024
blocksize

I'm using kernel 2.4.5-pre3 from Ben H's source.

Anyone know why the kernel isn't able to open /dev/ram0?

Thanks,
Andy