How fast should a bogomip be

Jerry Van Baren vanbaren_gerald at si.com
Thu Jul 12 06:30:19 EST 2001

Circumstantial evidence would indicate bogomips should go down by a
factor of 14.  On July 9, 2001, Andrew <anj at aps.anl.gov> sent a message
complaining about speed: he was running a 8240 (603e core) at 200MHz
without caches and getting a bogomips rating of 9.59 where he expected
133.  This matches my experience that caches are VERY important on
modern processors.  He later confirmed that his problem was that caches
were disabled.

Main memory speed is  VERY slow compared to the 100MHz or 200MHz core
clock rate.  Even with "PC133" or such SDRAM, which would lead you to
believe that it is fast memory, you have to look at latency, not just
the data clocking speed.  What you will find is that the initial
latency causes a substantial delay, and then it will burst the data at
bus speed (50MHz, 66MHz, or what have you).  Note also that the
bursting ONLY takes place if it is cached, which REALLY kills your
memory subsystem speed if you are running with caches disabled because
EVERY memory access causes the multiple clock cycle latency.

gvb