MVME 5100 & Linux

Matt Porter mporter at mvista.com
Mon Jul 2 21:35:34 EST 2001

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 03:46:16PM +0200, Lionel TAILLURAT wrote:
> I'm trying to install the Debian PPC Linux 2.2R0 on an MVME5100 + MVME 761 +
> IPMC 761.
>
> For that I download the Prep Image by TFTP, and the only thing I have is :
>
> PPC6-Bug>nbo
> Network Booting from: I82559, Controller 0, Device 0
> Device Name: /pci at fe000000/pci8086,1209 at e,0:0,0

Whoa.  The 5100 is not a PReP-like system even though it has the
capability to boot an image with a PReP header on it.  You're
trying to boot Debian/PPC's old 2.2 kernel on this system that
is an a CHRP memory map and has UARTs at non-standard locations.
That's not going to work.

> I have seen in the Mailing list archive that there was some problems using
> Linux with the MVME 5100 and especially with the residual data.
>
> Is there is a correction of this problem ?
>
> What should I do to have Linux working with this board ?

You should use the MVME5100 port from the linuxppc_2_4_devel tree.

--
Matt Porter
MontaVista Software, Inc.
mporter at mvista.com