Does th sym53c8xx driver really work on PPC ?

Ron Bianco ronb at junction.net
Tue Jan 30 12:05:07 EST 2001

Hi Nygren,

We been using the 53c895 chip, OK on our 8240 board running HHL (area51) 2.3.16
linux.
If the '875 has on chip script ram then you have to add code to map it somewhere
'safe'.  I chose 0x80000000

(We don't have a eprom for the SCSI chip on our board, your case may be different.)

This amounts to just setting the appropriate base address in the chip's config
registers.
Also, make sure you have the appropriate '875 config signals terminated
appropriately.  i.e. no eprom, internal sram enabled etc.
And of course, make sure the irq line is pulled up if open drain.  On the '895, the
irq line driver type is programmable.
And make sure the sense line on your PIC is config'd correctly.

File system thruput was tested up to ~10Mb/s read and ~10Mb/s write at the same time.
On a fast40, wide, drive.
Not too bad!

Cheers, Ron