860T FEC

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 30 11:49:03 EST 2001

Hi Tim,

in message <3A75F8A8.64ADB0C at vacuumgenesis.com> you wrote:

> Has anyone had any luck with the 860T FEC driver in the 2.4 kernel (I am
> using the 01/13/01 snapshot from FSMLabs). It is certainly not working
> out-of-the-box as it were. For example, it tries calling mii_queue with

No, it ain't.

> the ethernet device) but it is never called. I cannot see how this code
> was ever working properly. Is anyone running it that can refute this? I

I think you are right. This code cannot work, never could.

But the good news is that I have a working version of the FEC driver;
see our modified kernel sources in
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/,
or the patch at
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/patches/patch.8xx_misc
(and the README for it in
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/patches/README.8xx_misc
).

BTW: I've sent all these patches to Dan and Cort and Ben, so  I  hope
at least part of it will make it in the official sources.

> have made some changes that seem to get it halfway there, but am not
> getting any transmit interrupts yet (I am getting receive and mii
> interrupts).

It's working for me in several configurations.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Visit us at Embedded Systems: Feb 14-16 2001, Nuremberg, Halle 12/K01
(with TQ Components); our presentation "Starke Zwerge: Embedded Linux
auf PowerPC-Systemen" on Thursday, Feb 15 2001, 13:30 Forum Halle 11.