Using realtime clock?

Jerry Van Baren vanbaren_gerald at si.com
Thu Jan 11 02:56:58 EST 2001

Wolfgang:

A good place to start is the clock mini HOWTO:
   http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Clock.html

The astronomy people, among others, are really fanatical about accurate
time and have some very elaborate programs to synchronize clocks to the
nanosecond (microsecond?) level.  These involve NTP daemons.  Note that
the NTP daemons can synchronize to a radio clock that provides a
1/second tick: your simplest solution would probably be to set up your
accurate RTC to do a 1/second interrupt and then tie it into a NTP
daemon to keep your kernel clock accurate.

Note that utilities like adjtimex (covered in the HOWTO) adjust time
slowly so that it is monotonically increasing (i.e. they speed up or
slow down the tick announcement rather than jamming a new value in the
linux clock).  This is a VERY GOOD feature: otherwise you the risk of
having Really Bad things happen like your cron job running twice if the
clock jam happens to run at just the wrong moment (quite likely,
actually, since you probably update the clock as a cron job).

gvb

Disclaimer: some of this is from memory and may be inaccurate in details.