How does one get physical address for iorempped window?

Dan Malek dan at mvista.com
Tue Feb 20 06:53:15 EST 2001

mod+linuxppc-embedded at world-f.std.com wrote:

> .....  Being able to refer to something like, say,
> the appropriate pci_bus* when invoking virt_to_bus()

Right, you have to provide enough information to get the
job done correctly, but this could be more generic.  Adding
pci_bus* to virt_to_bus is the right concept, but the wrong
implementation as I certainly want to use virt_to_bus() (or
whatever) for devices that are not on a PCI bus.

> ...  I'm certainly not a fan of pointlessly
> complex code, but the one-size-fits-all implementation
> of virt_to_bus()....

That's not a one-size-fits-all implementation :-).  It (and
virt_to_phys()) worked differently on at least three different
PowerPC implementations.  Mainly to eliminate a bunch of nested
#ifdefs and duplicated code, I now use the same implementation
on all PowerPCs, but it is just the first small step to doing
something better.

	-- Dan