Linux on a 823FADS

Christian Schroeder christian.schroeder at imms.de
Tue Feb 6 18:09:52 EST 2001

Quoting "Bruno R. Barreyra" <bruno.r.barreyra at intel.com>:

> Hi.
>
> I've been encharged with the (ungrateful) mission of making Linux run on
> a 823FADS board. I've already got the latest version of ppcboot (0.8.1)
> up and running from Flash, but I'm struggling to get Linux to boot.
>
> How am I supposed to build the kernel? It seems the FADS port has long
> been abandoned. I'm trying to revive it, by including it back into the
> config and making necessary changes in order for the kernel to compile.
> Am I on the right track?

Hi Bruno,

I use mpc8xx-2.2.13 along with some patches from www.solutions4linux.de
on a FADS823 board (Rev. Pilot from 1997). The Board has 2 MB flash and
8 MB dram. Linux runs from flash with an initial ramdisk but you can use
a nfs-mounted root directory too. I use ppcboot 0.7.2 at the moment.

Christian

Dr.-Ing. Christian Schroeder
Institut fuer Mikroelektronik- und Mechatronik-Systeme
Langewiesener Strasse 22
98693 Ilmenau
Telefon: +49 3677 678315
Telefax: +49 3677 678337