Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Dec 27 06:39:23 EST 2001

In message <3C23345C.1274D300 at multitech.co.in> you wrote:

> i downloaded pre built ramdisk.image.gz from
> ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/simple-ramdisk.image.gz
>
> i put a printk in fs/opennamei () function
> i end up with the following output.
>
> is it crashing because of library missing or something else?

Yes ;-)

Well, I think I should be a bit more helpful: something else is missing.

> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

If you check the contents of tha ramdisk image (simply uncompress  it
and mount it using the loopback device) you will see that there is no
"init" included.

Try passing a "init=/bin/sh" argument on the kernel commandline.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The speed of time is one second per second.