ppc405_enet problems

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Dec 11 03:17:02 EST 2001

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 03:28:13PM +0200, Felix Radensky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run the latest linuxppc_2_4_devel kernel on
> our custom 405GP based board. I get kernel panic when an
> attempt is made to probe for ethernet controller phy:
>
> Kernel panic: eth0: PHY id 0xfbc85c20 is not supported!
>
> The phy is National Semiconductor DP83846AVHG.
> It works fine with Monta Vista HHL 2.0 kernel.

IIRC, the hhl 2.0 kernel assumes that you have a National Semiconductor
DP83843.  I'm guessing the 83846 is similar enough such that it just
works.  Take a look at drivers/net/ppc405_phy.c, and add in support for
your PHY (and please sumbit a patch to the list).

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/