TCP/IP Performance

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Dec 5 09:27:46 EST 2001

In message <6776269.1007503954578.JavaMail.tester at hvwww8> you wrote:

> Where can I find information relating to the performance (frames/second,
> etc) of TCP/IP under PowerPC embedded Linux?  Would this be
> different depending upon the device?  The devices in consideration
> are the MPC860 and the MPC8260.  Thank you for all your help.

Of course this depends a lot on the device - ethernet on a  SCC  port
on  a MPC8xx is different from ethernet on a FEC on a MPC860-T or -P,
which in trun is different from ethernet on a FCC on a 8260. Add  the
different  speed  of  the  CPU's, differend speed of their bus inter-
faces, etc.

It makes a LOT of difference. But then, there is also a price
difference...

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
If programming was easy, they wouldn't need something as  complicated
as a human being to do it, now would they?
                       - L. Wall & R. L. Schwartz, _Programming Perl_