using the little endian bit 4xx mmu

Dan Malek dan at mvista.com
Fri Aug 24 14:26:00 EST 2001

"Marti, Felix" wrote:

> I hacked it in a few hours:
> in arch/ppc/kernel/head_4xx.S

Ugh....we have discussed this in the past.  What is the advantage
of using this feature?  All of the existing drivers and I/O macros
are designed to handle mixing of endian modes depending upon the
processor and I/O device.  All this does is complicate a standard
set of programming interfaces that everyone expects to work as they
have in the past.

The ability to set a feature flag in the PTE and transfer that to
the TLB isn't a solution to anything.  You are going to have to
rewrite all of the standard functions, macros, and device drivers
to utilize this feature, and we haven't seen any benefit to doing this.

	-- Dan