init process does nothing after being execve'd

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 21 20:18:01 EST 2001

In message <200108210855.JAA00958 at lougher.demon.co.uk> you wrote:

> Regarding PPCBoot, I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it would
> not run on the Vesta (Redwood) boards without modification.  In any

This is correct. You will probably need some modifications to get  it
running there.

> case, I would have had to modify the Linux bootloader to use this

No. The whole  "Linux  bootloader"  is  obsolete  when  booting  from
PPCBoot. We don't use it at all.

> Agreed.  However, I'm not exactly sure if or how reliably the ethernet
> drivers in the kernel work on the Redwood.  With an initrd image,
> I can be sure the data is there, and is uncorrupted...

But you cannot easily debug it, which is much worse. Well,  you  can:
attach your BDI2000 and fire up GDB :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Always leave room to add an explanation if it doesn't work out.