init fails w/ new build of gcc & glibc

Dr. Craig Hollabaugh craig at hollabaugh.com
Sat Aug 18 08:16:45 EST 2001

At 04:48 PM 8/17/2001 -0500, Mark Hatle wrote:
>If the answer is that it is standard floating point then you can use the
>"7xx" or "82xx" tools for your project.  If you want to recompile then
>you need to recompile the whole system from the compilers up to glibc
>and all of the apps.  There are two ABIs, one for soft-floating point
>and one for hard floating point.  They are not run-time compatable.

Mark,

You mentioned these two exclusive ABIs a couple days ago. If you want to compile the toolchain and the kernel correctly to insure run-time compatibility (in my case for 8xx), would you do this

for kernel fp emulation
compile kernel with CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION=y, (do you use -msoft-float while compiling kernel?)
then compile the toolchain without -msoft-float

or

for soft-floating point - no kernel emulation
compile kernel CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION is not set (do you use -msoft-float while compiling kernel?)
then compile the toolchain with -msoft-float

Very very curious
Thanks
Craig