Anyone using an IBM RISCWatch ICE?

John F Davis johndavi at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 16 03:15:25 EST 2001

Hello

I am not a riscwatch expert, but its the only thing I've ever used.  Maybe
I can help.

I don't know how you could use the virtual address.  But, here is a simple
thing you can do.  Insert a tight loop in the code where you want to break,
like:

jump:
     if (foo) {
          goto jump;
     }

Then run your code and stop it. When things are to your liking, clear
foo and restart it.

Also, when you stop the code, examine the IAR.  Maybe the physical address
you were using wasn't the same one
the IAR shows.

Lastly, when you are stopped, be careful about examining memory.  By
default the memory window will try to examine memory
at location 0.  On the 405 system I use, this causes a page fault and thus
oops my kernel when I restart it.  I don't if this is happening to
you when you reach your breakpoint or not.  I fixed this problem my using a
TLB entry to map memory address zero to a non used
location.  That way I can use the memory window.  If you know how to bring
up the memory window at an address other than
zero I would like to know.

I am sure that when Chip gets off vacation, he can help you more.

Good luck,

John

"Wright, David" <dwright at infiniswitch.com>@lists.linuxppc.org on 08/15/2001
11:12:17 AM