Non-cacheable memory

Daris A Nevil dnevil at snmc.com
Wed Aug 8 04:34:09 EST 2001

Gus, Tom,

Here is the procedure I used to allocate pages and mark them as non-cached in
the 2.2.5 kernel (SNMC's QSLinux):

    mem_addr = __get_free_page(GFP_KERNEL);
    pte = va_to_pe(&init_task, mem_addr);
    pte_val(*pte) |= _PAGE_NO_CACHE;
    flush_tlb_page(current->mm_mmap, mem_addr);

I used these pages for SCC buffer descriptors, so they were never returned to
the system. I'm not sure if this is the preferred way, but it certainly works.
I have not tried this in the 2.4 kernel yet.  The functions __get_free_page()
and flush_tlb_page() do exist in 2.4.4, but I could not locate va_to_pe()  (I
think that was a macro in 2.2.5).

You may also want to look at the file linux/asm/pgalloc.h, esp. the functions
get_pgd_slow() and get_pgd_fast().

Regards,
Daris Nevil

--