Kernel driver debugging

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 27 10:13:45 EST 2001

In message <200104262352.QAA01767 at batcave2.batcave> you wrote:

> I am looking for the best way to debug kernel modules/drivers.

Get a decent debugger :-)

> In addition we would like to have a way to read registers and other values from
> the hardware as we go forward.

That's one of the basic factions of any BDM/JTAG debugger...

> What is the best solution?

Get yourself a BDI2000.

> I have also read about BDM4GDB and BDI2000.  Is BDI2000 worth the cost?  Are
> there other BDM's for the 405 which work well with Linux?

The BDM4GDB is working only  with  MPC8xx  CPU's  (at  least  in  the
current version). I don't know of any effort to adapt it for the 40x.

And yes, the BDI2000 is worth every single dollar you pay for it.

Feel free to contact me for details...

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Defaults are wonderful, just like fire.
                  - Larry Wall in <1996Mar6.004121.27890 at netlabs.com>